Do you know how to find your IP address on different Mac (Macintosh) operating system? Here we present how to find the IP on Mac in differnet OS versions along with using terminal, wired or wireless network and with connected router, Check each mode to find your IP address on MAC device…
If you are connected to a Network using your Mac (Macintosh) device, then it is assigned an IP address which is a four set of digits which are separated by dots and there each digit consists of maximum 3 values and IP Address on MAC is used to setting up sharing files or network.
IP on device can be found using the Settings option or by entering the command in Commands Line processor, and also, the methods of finding Ip Address on Mac will vary based on your connection type to Wireless or Ethernet. As your device is connected to internet connection using a Router Wi-Fi, it has got both external IP address and Local network IP. Local network will be used to establish a file sharing or network setup form another Mac device.
To configure any device for network configuration, the IP address acts a major rule for connection, and this is uniquely defined for device based on their model and thus finding them on Mac is little complicated even. As based on the Mac OS versions the place of residing the IP address on Mac differs.
In this article we came with different approach to find the IP address on Mac devices, which can be found using appropriate method. It is more important to look at IP Address, as not to get confused with other system IPs on network configuration page.
How to Get IP Address on Mac
This process will end with having your Ip Address of Mac device from system network configuration screen. This is the most common process on all Mac devices to get the IP.
- Get your Mac device started and go to Menu
- Here select System Preference and then click on Network option
- Now select connection type and your IP address will displayed at right side
- Note the IP starting with 192, which will act as your Ip Address on Mac.
Find IP Address on Mac OS X using Terminal
Hope you have the IP address using the above GUI process, to ensure that you have got the correct IP. You can choose the Terminal method to get the IP address or even if you haven’t got success from using the GUI process.
- Go to Application from Apple Menu and select Utilities
- Launch command prompt using the Terminal Option
- Type ‘ipconfig| grep inet’ and press enter to display saved configuration
- IP address will at last next to ‘inet’ and will be starting with 192.*.*. *
Find on Wireless Network
If connected to Wireless network run ‘ipconfig getifaddr en1’ to get network output on terminal
Find on Wired Network
Use ‘ipconfig getifaddr en0’ if your connected to wired network to display IP address
How to Find IP address on Mac OS 10.5
As options on Mac do differ based on their OS versions, the steps to find IP address will also change. Do follow the steps below to get an IP address on Mac OS 10.5 and further newer versions.
- Click on Apple Icon and then Select System Preference
- Here open Network from Menu and Click on Ethernet displayed on left menu
- Else AirPort option for wireless connection made on device
- You can see IP address, Subnet Mask and Router IP here
- This IP is referred as IP address of Mac displayed on this page
How to Find IP address on Mac OS 10.4
The steps below need to be followed for Mac Devices which hold their version 10.4 and below. Option to display the IP of the device will be little varying from new versions of Mac.
- Open System Preference from Apple Menu
- Launch Network from Internet & Network option shown in Menu
- Now click on ‘Built -In Ethernet’ option and click on Configure button
- Here select TCP/IP option to display IP’s connected on Mac Device
- IP shown next to ‘IP address’ will be the Device IP address
Find External IP address on Mac Using Router
In this process you will come across to find the external IP address of Mac device. As your Mac device is connected to Router, you will have an option under router configuration page to find the Mac IP address. Proceed to follow the steps below and know the external IP address on Mac.
- Launch your Router web interface page using Router default IP address
- Use Either 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.2.1 to access Admin page
- Once you’re inside the Router Admin Page, go to check Internet Port option
- Under Router Status, you will see multiple IP’s displayed on screen
- Check Mac Address under WAN to note your Mac External IP address.
- How to Hide IP Address on Apple's MAC device?
You can hide your real IP address of Mac device either by using a proxy server setting or by using Virtual Private Network for connection.
- Can a Device be identified by using Mac Address?
A Media Access Control Address has a specific network adapter which identifies it. User need to supply range of IP addresses and click search button to find out Mac address form range of IPs.