IP is a key source of communication to ping MAC address with local devices to the network, thus every device you have does maintain a local IP address. The record of Mac Address along with associated IP address saved in the device and found using some ping options
Here we are using the address resolution Protocol which a protocol to find Mac Addresses with IPs in network segments. If you’re not aware every device in data link layer depends on Mac addresses to get communication active.
Know how the ARP command works which do let you the Mac Address by easy options, Mac Address is an important connection that lets you configure and track your device if required.
Every device has its respective IP address associated Mac Address which may found using a pinging option. Here we have a few steps, which you can follow to ping in your Mac OS X device.
How to Ping Mac Address
- Launch the Terminal by finding it from Apple Menu
- It may found in Utilities under Applications menu
- Now enter the arp command in terminal and hit enter
- A list of options does show on screen for arp command
- Type arp -a command and wait for a second after hitting enter
- A list of ARP entries shown in the form of a table on screen
- Here select your requested IP from the list shown beside Mac Address
- Type PING IP address and press enter to see the result of PING
- The output of IP address, interface, and the allocation type shown on screen, which makes it easy to find the IP address and Ping it on a Mac device.
Is it possible to Ping a Mac Address?
The Address Resolution Protocol tool prepared to ping a Mac Address using the ARP packets in your LAN. This tool does get you a list of Mac Address associates with respective IPs during its execution.
Can a device found using its Mac Address?
Go to settings under Wireless & Networks to find the Wi-Fi option. Tap on the advanced button to open the WiFi options screen, and at the bottom of your page, the Mac address and IP address displayed on the screen.
Is Using ARP command safe to Ping Mac Address?
Address Resolution Protocol is a command which shows its output when you enter arp in Mac terminal, and this is an inbuilt command which collects the data of IP addresses and their associated Mac Address from Mac devices with also listing their location type.
Is a Mac Address traceable?
The Mac Address only traceable when connected to a network shown as active, if your WiFi connection has been log in by different computers then you can view the Mac Address of that connected computer. Else, not possible to get a trace of Mac Address of any device directly.